Why You Should Be Watching ‘Hot Ones’

The show with hot questions and even hotter wings.

Photo Courtesy of First We Feast

Photo Courtesy of First We Feast

Courtney Poon, Photojournalist

You’ve seen Lip Sync Battles. You’ve seen Carpool Karaoke. But have you seen A-list celebrities being interviewed while eating hot wings?

By blending pop culture with food, ‘Hot Ones’ has truly found a unique niche in the Youtube platform. With impressive guests like Post Malone and Kevin Hart and more, it’s obvious that the show has reached a new height in popularity, which says something about new media gaining support over traditional media like late night television.

But what makes the show so compelling? Well, it’s mostly due to the charismatic host Sean Evan’s incredible interviewing skills. During the interview he displays his extensive knowledge of the guest, making it clear that he has done his research and is well-prepared. Moreover, his attentive attitude allows him to have hilariously captivating conversations with the guests. All the meanwhile, he carries himself with the composure of a warrior, a necessity when leading Cara Delevingne into battle against chicken wings doused in hot sauce. The current hottest sauce on the show is ‘The Last Dab’ with a Scoville level of 2,000,000+. Just to compare, Sriracha is only 2,200 on the Scoville level. Watching celebrities struggle against the intense heat of the wings only makes the interview even more hilarious, and it can lead to them saying some pretty outrageous things.

‘Hot Ones’ is located on the First We Feast channel on Youtube, which boasts 3.1 million subscribers and its most popular video, an interview with Kevin Hart, has over 14 million views. Though this is well behind channels like the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon and the Late Late Show with James Corden, this does show how the future may hold more in store for online platforms rather than television. Katie Jump (10) comments, “I could see how there would be more kids watching Youtube than television in the future. On Youtube, you can watch anything you want whenever you want, which makes it more convenient than staying up to watch the Tonight Show. I think that if ‘Hot Ones’ got a bigger budget and better celebrities, then they could maybe compete with late-night television.”

‘Hot Ones’ manages to bring out the best in guests, allowing them to show their personality and interests, a nice change from Jimmy Fallon’s obnoxious fake laughter. Interested in seeing your favorite celebrity eat dangerously hot wings while answering equally intense questions? Check out ‘Hot Ones’ on the First We Feast Channel on Youtube!