Softball Starts off Strong!

Allie Steward, Photojournalist

As winter sports come to an end, spring sports are just beginning. Many Mustang athletes are pushing themselves to practice their hardest now so it will pay off come season. The women’s softball team at YLHS is a prime example of this. They have been killing it this season in their tournaments and now in their games. The team has won nine out of twelve games so far, with still weeks of opportunities left. Nothing good comes without hard work and dedication, but this team has proven that in the end, it’s worth it.

Rae Machurski (12) has been on softball for four years. As her senior year draws to a close, she is excited to give the rest of this season her all. Rae says that the team has “worked really hard all year and it’s definitely showing”. She also notes that if the team continues to work as hard as they have, they will continue winning and having a great season. Hopefully, the team will follow the pattern of winning they have set and make it to CIF. Though this means a longer season for the girls, the end results will be priceless.

On varsity, there are six seniors. These seniors have created bonds that will last a lifetime and developed more skills with their coach than they could have ever imagined. Just like many other sports at YLHS, these competitive athletes practice with each other multiple days a week, so it is not surprising that they become so close. It is bittersweet to come to the end of something that means so much. Though they might be exhausted from all the hard work put in at practice, the girls are sure to miss it once it’s over.

On weekends in pre-season, the softball team has competed in day-long tournaments out in the hot sun. Softball games can run very long, as they have nine innings instead of the typical four quarters. Along with having a long game, in each tournament, the girls will play multiple games a day. Lucky for them, these girls love to play and it shows in their performance.

Come support softball at their upcoming games! The season ends in the middle of May, so there is still plenty of time to come out and support the girls. You will not want to miss a chance to see these amazing players do what they do best.