Student Spotlight: Mikayla Buscaino

Mikayla+posing+for+her+Senior+Year+Volleyball+photos.+Photographed+by+Suhna+Choi.+
Mikayla posing for her Senior Year Volleyball photos. Photographed by Suhna Choi.

Nicole Gagnon, Photojournalist

At Yorba Linda High school, each student has done amazing job contributing to the community in order to make the school excellent. Whether it is participating in events, hosting clubs, or just becoming involved in any way, students at this school show great amounts of school spirit. However, one student that stands out significantly because of her constant involvement inside and outside of the classroom is Mikayla Buscaino (12). Mikayla is a born leader and contains a great amount of pride for the school.

To begin, Mikayla has selflessly dedicated numerous hours of her time towards the school. She is involved in several clubs along with taking leadership positions in the clubs. For instance, Mikayla is the President of National Honor Society in order to oversee all club events and run each meeting. Also, she is the Holiday Service Project Chair for Parent Student Teacher Association in which she coordinated the assignment and distribution for over one hundred gifts to needy children for Crittenton Angel Tree Program. Finally, she is a member of California Scholarship Federation which emphasizes high standards of scholarship and community service for California high school students. Her intense involvement around school shows the great amount of dedication she has.

Aside from clubs, Mikayla’s hard work ethic is revealed through various involvements. Instead of taking a break senior year, Mikayla is enrolled in five Advanced Placement classes, and was enrolled in four during junior year and one during sophomore year. Fellow AP Literature student and friend of Mikayla, Arian Bijanzadeh (12) believes “she is one of the most devoted students [he has] seen, and it is truly inspiring.” Additionally, her diligence is revealed through her involvement in four varsity sports at the high school. First, she was named team captain for two years of varsity volleyball where she was awarded Most Valuable Player. She was also nominated offensive MVP during her time dedicated to varsity basketball, and MVP in varsity soccer. Finally, for four years she has participated in varsity softball in which she was awarded the Scholar-Athlete Award.

Mikayla’s hard work has not been unnoticed, throughout her high school career she has been able to obtain several awards. For academics, she has received the Academic Excellence Award, which is only given to the “Top 10 in Class.” Also, she was given the Academic Achievement Award for students with over a 4.0 GPA. Alongside academics, Mikayla’s was granted the Good Citizen Award which is given to students who reflect an admirable character and leadership skills. Overall, Mikayla Buscaino reflects one of the several amazing students at Yorba Linda High School.