Why We Shouldn’t Have Daylight Savings

This year, Daylight Savings Time started on March 11th and will end November 4th.

ABC News

ABC News

Kayden Mandley, Photojournalist

On March 11th we were all given an extra hour basking in the sunlight after our clocks moved forward and Daylight Savings Time (DST) began. Although it has been recurring for almost 100 years, this odd tradition has some of us wondering: Why do we have Daylight Savings Time anyway?

It all started in Germany on May 1st, 1916. The Germans thought that it would be beneficial to push the time an hour ahead with the hopes of saving fuel and energy during World War I. We can all thank William Willet, who wrote The Waste of Daylight, for giving the Germans this idea. His book mainly stressed about how people waste the early morning sunlight by sleeping and spending their last hours awake in the dark. Eventually, Benjamin Franklin heard of what the Germans were doing and, soon after, persuaded the American government to enact the time switch as well.

However, Today, life is different from what it was in 1916. According to The New York Times, DST does not even help save energy and fuel like it used to way back when. Apparently, in a 2017 study, it was discovered that “places farther from the Equator might save energy [during Daylight Savings Time], but places closer to the Equator used more energy during daylight time.” It also came to researchers’ attention that DST only saves “0.34 percent of electricity use.”

Additionally, DST can also affect our health. Since our clock has been bumped up an hour, so has our circadian rhythm. ABCNews defined that “Circadian rhythm refers to the processes inside our bodies that regulate changing body temperature, stress levels, appetite, metabolism, and of course, a desire to sleep, over the day.” Therefore, since our basic functions are out of control, we Americans receive an extra hour of exhaustion. To make matters worse, “Researchers found a 5 percent greater risk of heart attack in the three workdays after DST” and “there are more traffic accidents and workplace injuries following [Daylight Savings Time].”

Sophia Kallah (9), a strong advocate against Daylight Savings Time wants to terminate it once and for all because “it is annoying and messes up our sleeping schedule” and “ it is incredibly unnecessary.” Therefore, it should be decided soon that we stop this incredibly bothersome ritual because it does no good for our health, environment, or attitude.