Are The Oscars Legitimate?

The statue that is handed out to every winner during the show. Photo courtesy of independent.co.

Eric Garcia, Editor

For many people, the ultimate validation of a film’s success is whether the film has received or was nominated for an Academy Award or an Oscar.  Jacob Ninomiya (12) says, “It really is a deciding factor for movie night.” However, there have been instances in the past where a film has deserved to be recognized and never was or a film gets too much recognition over others. Some of the films that are hailed during their time period to be instant masterpieces are soon forgotten about by the general public as other films deemed “niche” continue to be a massive success. Why would that be? This weird trend continues today, which begs the question. Are the Oscars legitimate?

A popular comment people make on the Academy Awards is that the judges responsible for voting for and selecting the nominees and winners are simply out of touch with current movie trends. Reason for this argument comes from the fact that the Academy refuses to acknowledge Sci-Fi or Superhero films in more of the prestigious awards. While Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Logan, Star Wars, and Star Trek all get nominated in categories for best makeup/costumes, best adaptive screenplay, best visual effects (which was won by Spider-Man 2 in 2004), or best sound mixing, they are rarely if ever featured in categories like Best Actor, Best Director, or Best Picture. In their place, is a bunch of experimental artsy films, period films, or war films. These films seem to strike a chord with the Academy, probably because it reminds them of their youth. While not denying the quality of the films, it is apparent that there is a bit of overrepresentation over film genres.

Another issue people have with the judges is that only care about what the popular films of the year. There have been reports that some of the judges in the Academy don’t watch the films they select to be nominees or winners, only voting on what they hear are the popular films. This could lead some to believe that many of the major studios pay for their films to be nominated or win the award effectively making the entire ceremony a giant commercial for Hollywood. This claim also comes into account when people consider the fact that not that many foreign films are nominated alongside American made films. Films that created a phenomenon in their respective home countries are barely, if ever, recognized in the US during award season.

While many people feel anger and frustration towards the Academy that they refuse to represent more unknown films and represent more films that they personally enjoy, the solution for this issue is simple. There should be younger blood among the judges that will balance the nominations among the films so there should no overrepresentation of one genre over the other. In addition, if there were famous filmmakers or people in the industry who weren’t involved in making a film that year, they should be invited to be a part of the judges in order to get a different perspective.  Then perhaps one day, winning an Oscar will actually mean something.