Water Accessories

As the latest trend, consumers can buy Hydro Flasks in all sorts of shapes and colors that further promote the reputation of these sustainable water bottles.

REI

Jaylin Mandley, Editor

A tool for hydration or a trending accessory? Aside from backpacks, Hydro Flasks are currently the most widely used item carried around by the students at Yorba Linda High School. This rapid increase in the ownership of Hydro Flasks poses a question regarding the real reason why so many students have purchased this expensive water receptacle. Although the Hydro Flask’s main purpose is for hydration, has the Hydro Flask evolved into the latest trend?

Hydro Flasks are high-quality insulated water bottles designed to keep liquids extremely hot or cold for extended periods of time. These bottles come in a variety of colors, have various mouthpieces available, and range in size from 12 to 64 ounces. Since the price of a Hydro Flask ranges from $22 to $55, the Hydro Flask has become a luxury item to consumers. Students, rather than buying similarly insulated bottles for half the price, willingly pay double for what they could spend in order to obtain their very own Hydro Flask.

Although the flashy colors and Hydro Flask logo appeal to the eyes of buyers, Hydro Flasks are becoming the current trend. This further promotes their sale and encourages consumers like the students as YLHS to purchase them for their renowned reputation amongst their peers. Instead of just a water bottle, Hydro Flasks have become the newest accessory to carry. They even resemble dolls that the buyer can “dress up” with different types of lids, stickers, and plastic sleeves to add style to their bottles.

However, because of their high demand and price, owners of Hydro Flasks are facing problems of theft with their luxury water bottles. More and more often, students continue to steal Hydro Flasks from other students who leave their water bottles out or forget them places. Averi Colburn (9) relays how not just once, but two times she “lost her Hydro Flask because [she] misplaced it, and it was stolen.” According to Averi, each time she lost her Hydro Flask, she “was devastated and nearly cried.” Currently on her third Hydro Flask, Averi still claims her refurbishment of her Hydro Flask “is worth it so that [she] has [her] very own Hydro Flask.”

While Hydro Flasks continue to increase the level of sustainability reusable water bottles impose on our world, there are other equally sustainable reusable water bottles available for purchase; other reusable bottle manufacturers include brands such as Takeya, Contigo, and Swell. Each brands’ water bottles have durable structures and exceptional insulation, yet they do not have the reputation like that of the Hydro Flask, so very few of these other brands of water bottles will be found in the hands of consumers when compared to Hydro Flask owners.

Odds are you have probably seen a Hydro Flask on campus, and if you have not, you are bound to at some point because these eco-friendly water containers are taking over as the current trend. While we will always need more water, these water accessories might remain a long-term movement.