YLHS Powers Through the 48 Hour Film Festival

Allie Steward, Photojournalist

From March 2nd-4th, YLHS Video Productions class participated in the 48 Hour Film Festival. The 48 is a competition between many schools in Orange County. Students in film classes at each school choose between two themes given to them and create a short film. Then the students have 48 hours to film, produce, direct, and edit a full short film. Although the participating students were exhausted during and after the competition, the results were priceless.

For YLHS, there was a major change in the script shortly before it was time to film. This change was due to the unfortunate rain which put a dent in the plans to film outside. Luckily, the Video Productions class at YL is full of smart, talented kids and they were able to create a script and shot list in a very short amount of time.

The story followed a boy who was trying to live up to his father’s dreams of him being a wonderful, traditional chef. The boy, however, dreams of cooking more creative meals. The film shows the struggle he goes through with his father. Because this film was heavily cooking based, the 48 producers Nick Franklyn (12), was able to let us film at his dad’s restaurant in Fullerton. Because people come dine at the restaurant during the day, they cast and the crew were only able to film in the middle of the night, which made for a very tired, sleepless crew. This added a ton of production value to our 48.

Andy Martinez (11) was the director and cinematographer for this film. Both jobs are extremely important and to both at the same time is a huge task. Nevertheless, Martinez pushed through and carried the class. He was the backbone for this short film and motivated everyone to continue working their hardest despite their lack of energy.

Zach Friesen (12) was filming behind the scenes. He captured everything both the actors and the crew were working on. He was there during every scene throughout the 48 and got to see what happened on set as well as behind the scenes. Zach says he was “impressed by the hard work of everyone on set”. Although after only the first night the cast and crew were exhausted and sleep deprived, the class was relentless and did not give up.

Despite this being an exhausting event, the 48 brought the video productions class closer together. To anyone interested in joining next year, it is highly recommended. Through competitions like the 48, the class not only gets brought closer together, but you also learn so much about the equipment and different jobs in film.