North Korea Plans On Denuclearization?

Trump is reportedly in talks to meet with Kim Jong-Un over denuclearization.

Photo Courtesy of Foreign Policy

Photo Courtesy of Foreign Policy

Courtney Poon, Photojournalist

Trump plans on meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un by the end of May; it could be the “greatest deal for the world,” as the US president believes, or it could create even stronger tensions between the two powers. This meeting would be a first, as no sitting US president has ever met a North Korean leader.

South Korea president Moon Jae-in is mainly responsible for arranging this meeting. After becoming president, Moon was clear that under the right circumstances, he would meet with North Korea “anytime, anywhere.” He finally got his chance because of the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics; Moon and Kim met to discuss North Korea’s participation in the games and Moon pushed Kim to meet with Trump about denuclearization. President Trump reportedly accepted the offer on the spot when it was relayed by South Korean envoys on Thursday, surprising his administration and the press. Two of those envoys are now on the way to China and Japan to brief the leaders of each country on the upcoming talks (BBC).

This meeting came as a shock to the press and public as Trump had previously threatened to “totally destroy” North Korea in his first United Nations speech. He has also referred to Kim as “little rocket man,” while Kim has called Trump a “dotard” and a “lunatic.” Moreover, attempts to negotiate aid-for-disarmament deals have failed since 2003, when the North pulled out of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NBC).

Much of the public, especially politicians, have expressed worries over the dangers of a Trump-North Korea meeting. Many are unsure that denuclearization is a possible goal. When speaking with NBC, Democratic Senator Elizabeth Warren said that she was afraid that the US State Department officials would not be able to negotiate with North Korea. Warren stated “I want to see our president succeed, because if he succeeds, America succeeds. The world is safer. But I am very worried that they’re going to take advantage of him.” Likewise, Phoebe Duong (12) agrees with Warren, commenting, “I want the meeting to go well, but the situation could really go either way. This could be a step forward towards denuclearization, or it could completely destroy our relationship with North Korea.”

Even President Trump appears unsure about the planned meeting. “Hey, who knows what’s going to happen?” said Trump during a Pennsylvania rally. “I may leave fast or we may sit down and make the greatest deal for the world.”

Despite reports of the meeting happening by the end of May, no date or place has been decided for the meeting yet.