Getting into the Swing of Things

Varsity pitcher, Matt Williams (11) gets ready to release the ball to strikeout the batter.

ylhsbaseball.com

ylhsbaseball.com

Allison Harris, Photojournalist

The Yorba Linda Mustangs baseball season returns for another astounding year on the field. A new season with a fresh start is what the the team yearns to pursue new goals and set higher standards for each individual player and as a whole. Each athlete hopes to be challenged and with that challenge, they will decide to step up to the plate and hopefully hit a home run this season.

The game of baseball is not just a game to these boys, it has become a second home and a place to relieve stress and confide with the people that share the same love for the sport as these players do. The coaches and athletes create bonds and memories that last lifetimes. One memory that comes to mind for the athletes is the victory against the Division 1 team, Santa Margarita Catholic High School. All Star players, Cory Vale (12),  Jake Del Crognale (11), and Blake Faddoul (12) combined to pitch a shutout winning the game 3-0. This energy lived throughout the whole squad infusing the confidence and energy leads into the competitive season.

For many, this will be their last time playing on the fields surrounded by their friends who’ve many have known them since their Little League baseball days. Senior season is upon us and many of them are gearing up to go to college. Blake Faddoul (12) reflects what his high school experience has been and what he seeks during this seasons and beyond, “Well…I think it’s crazy how fast time has gone by being in high school and I can’t believe that my last high school season has already begun. I look forward to having a solid season with the team. We have a solid team of guys and we should play very well this year. After this high school season, I plan to continue my efforts in baseball as I get the chance to play Division 1 baseball with the Santa Clara Broncos.”

The YLHS Mustangs hope to take their team to League to battle to see who is the best against Brea Olinda, Villa Park, and Canyon High School. Wednesday, March 14, the Mustangs face against our rival, the Esperanza High School Aztecs. Each team is in hopes to bring home more victories to make even more memorable moments during this season.