The Lady Mustangs of Lacrosse

Yorba Linda High School's 2017-2018 women's lacrosse program.

Yorba Linda High School Landy Mustang LAX Booster Club

Kayden Mandley, Photojournalist

Wayne Gretzky once said, “You miss 100% of the chances you don’t take.” This quote exemplifies how the Lady Mustangs of lacrosse are inspired to work their hardest not just for themselves, but for their teammates as well. Lacrosse season has officially begun and the YLHS Lady Lax team is kicking things off to a great start as they play their first few games of the season.

Since the beginning of Spring, the Lady Laxers have been giving it their all during practice. Their usual practices consist of different activities such as warm-up laps, dynamic and static stretching, and multiple lacrosse drills. Every day the team is awarded with a sense of relief after a day well spent playing together.

For the first game of the season, the Lady Mustangs traveled to El Toro High School. This night, in particular, was quite memorable due to the weather conditions they were forced to perform in. Sami Kerr (9), a member on the JV Lady Mustang’s Lacrosse team, claimed that “It was pouring rain and extremely windy. My fingers were so frozen I could hardly [move] my stick.” Aside from the poor weather, the Lady Mustangs still came together as a team and made it out on top in the end. Varsity won with a score of 7 to 3 and JV ended the game at 7 to 7.

Although the lacrosse season has just begun and the girls are starting things off smoothly, they still have a ways to go. Like all sports teams on campus, the Lady Laxers’ main goal is to make it to CIF. Coach Kathleen Bui, women’s varsity lacrosse coach plans to “create an environment where players continue to love their sport while giving their 100%.” Coach Kat also stressed that “The most important aspect through the highs and lows of competing is staying together as a unit and playing for your teammates on the field.”

Jaylin Mandley (12), one of the varsity captains on the team, explained how excited she for this season; “Ever since we played our first game I just knew we were going to go far together.” Jaylin also went on saying how inspired she is by her team; “Each and every one of those girls surprise me… every time they are on that field they put forth all of their efforts and are constantly motivating everyone else.”

With a great start to a new beginning, many people are excited to watch these girls play for the remainder of the season. Go Mustangs!