Yorba Linda Sweeps OCFF

The YLHS Video Productions class on the red carpet of the Orange County Film Festival. Photo courtesy of Alex Lee.

Eric Garcia, Editor

It was definitely a night of success for YLHS during the Orange County Film Festival on January 6. The event, presented by FilmEd Academy of the Arts, is an award ceremony where various high schools throughout Orange County enter their films made for either their school broadcast or independently.

The night was already off to a good start as the festivities began on the red carpet at Northwood High School. The theme for the ceremony was the 1980’s, so throughout the red carpet was various classic arcade games and even a roller skating rink. Before the show began, popular cover band, Jessie’s Girl performed many classic hits from the 80’s for the audience to enjoy.

Then came the actual show. This year, Yorba Linda came in with the most nominations in the school’s history with multiple nominations in many categories. Lauren Hutchinson (12), who was nominated for Best Anchor felt that “It was a big surprise and a really fun experience to be nominated among other awesome people.” Additionally, Kyle Herbel (12), who was nominated for Best Graphics and co-nominated for the Best PSA, Baby Driver and Best Broadcast for Mustang Mix, said “It’s an incredible honor and I’m very happy with my fellow nominees.”

Throughout the show, it was no surprise to see members from the class, repeatedly going on stage to accept their award. Nickolas Franklin (12) who won multiple awards for his film Bedhead said, “It was pretty cool that an experimental film got recognized.” Alexandra Lee (12) was also a big winner that evening with her film, Inside of Hope winning multiple awards; In addition, she also won awards in the categories of Best Anchor with Nick Murrell and Filmmaker of the Year. Andrew Martinez also won Best Cinematographer for Bedhead.

By the end of the show, Yorba Linda High School walked out with the most awards of the show and the most awards in the school’s history. It certainly is a turning point for the Advanced Video Productions class if this is an indicator of things to come. Mr. Cadra (Staff) had nothing, but praise to his students saying that, “I was incredibly proud of my students’ achievements and ecstatic to see them win so many awards. They are a very talented, hard0working group, and it was wonderful that they received so many accolades.”

The winning films and the nominees from the show are all available for viewing on FilmEd’s Vimeo. Congratulations to YLHS on the big win.

https://vimeo.com/filmedacademy