Black Mirror

A show becomes one of the most binge-worthy television series that contains a haunting yet relatable truth about technological addiction.

Variety

Variety

Abigail Kim, Photojournalist

Season 4 of the Netflix Original Series “Black Mirror” released on December 29th, 2017, intriguing every age group to binge on its sinister television movies. The 2017 Emmy Award-winning series debuted in 2011, and captivated audiences, thanks to its unique plotlines. The surface-level definition of “black mirror” refers to the blank or powered-off screen of an electric device, portraying a mere reflection of yourself on the screen. However, “the premise of the series is that technology can magnify the ugliest (blackest) aspects of human nature” where social media catalyzes a crave for likes and comments for the “public’s approval” (Maxim).

Each mini-movie episode in the series expresses the demise of technology and the deterioration of humane morals through excessive addiction to it. Alexis Wilens (12) states that the show is “ironically addictive, considering that the producer’s goal is to get people off of technology.” The writer, Charlie Brooker explains that the show accurately foreshadows “the way we might be living in ten minutes, if we’re clumsy” (Huffington Post). It is perfect for fans with dystopian fantasies; a parallel often made to the futuristic novel, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. This novel describes the future of society if a dictatorial government obtained complete control over people. In summation, too much unrestrained, scientific progress reduces the ultimate happiness of individuals.

According to Huffington Post, the third episode of the first season named “The Entire History of You” is the most devastating and relatable. It is set in a world where individuals replay their memories and experiences. The characters obsess over others memories which rots their humanity into a blob of jealousy, anger, and conceit. “Infused with futuristic technology,” the episode plots engender “horrifying repercussions,” but it also emulates flawed human characteristics.

Another highly rated work is episode one of season three, named “Nosedive.” The premise of this episode screams to its audience members that social media apps rule everyone’s lives, as the main character delves into self deprecation for desperate appreciation. It highlights modern rating apps that “keep us safe… from monoculture we all have to copycat for approval” (Verge).

A plethora of scientific and technological advances will be made throughout the course of the future. “Black Mirror” renders technology to hold devastating effects on humane attributes. So what can we do as students in high school? In simplification, maximizing happiness comes from living in the moment, cherishing the people that surround us and the pleasure of nature itself.