Apple Battery and Performance Slowdown

iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s users are granted a discounted battery from the usual $75 to $29 to replenish short-lived battery longevity.

9to5Mac

9to5Mac

Abigail Kim, Photojournalist

A concern millions of outraged iPhone users waited for finally disclosed on December 20th. Apple, a company that has “sold over 700 million iPhones since 2007”, uploaded a long awaited apology to its customers regarding the slower performance and short battery life of older apple products (iMore). The conspiracy has been circulating the internet and its users for years and ignited a debate about the accessibility and longevity of Apple’s devices.

The world’s most valuable company is under file, and blandly stated that it was a “miscommunication.” People always suspected that iOS updates on older iPhone 6 models However, the company claims that they aimed solely to preserve the old iPhones rather than urge its consumers to purchase the latest model. “About a year ago in iOS 10.2.1, we delivered a software update that improves power management during peak workloads to avoid unexpected shutdowns on iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, and iPhone SE,” reads the letter. Users may experience “longer launch times in apps  The company stated that in past years, they purposefully slowed down older iphones “with lower battery capacities, mainly to prevent accidental shutdowns” (The Verge). To combat the public’s outburst, Apple defended itself with a battery’s natural chemical damage when charged improperly. So what charges a battery?

According to Marca Doeff, a battery expert at the Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, lithium ions are translated across the two sides of the battery. When cold or hot temperatures occur this motion halts and when battery fluid completely stops, the phone shuts down. Opening apps and updating some simultaneously drain the fluid much faster.

Class action lawsuits derived from multiple states and countries including South Korea, still maintain the same skepticism of their argument, despite the released apology letter. According to Apple, this acted as a suggested “gesture to [its] consumers” lowers the price of battery renewal from $75 dollars to $29 dollars. In early 2018, apple will issue another iOS update to improve the battery performance of older iPhones with a visibility chart that monitors not only the health of the battery, but the conditions affecting it.

Priscilla Kim (10) agrees with the negative perspective of the turmoil. “They raked up a pretty convincing cover, but everyone knows that iPhones never just slow down coincidentally when the new model is released every couple years.”

While the legitimacy of the details still stand questioned, consumers either scoffed or applauded Apple’s reformation plan, and the outcome of this sticky situation turns hopefully bright for the future of newer models’ battery lifespan.