2017 vs 2007: Decade Breakdown

Pictured above is Youtuber Safiya Nygaard as she flaunts her 2007 inspired outfits.

Safiya Nygaard

Safiya Nygaard

Madison Preston, Editor-in-Chief

Popular Youtuber, Safiya Nygaard, recently published a video in which she dressed like it was 2007 for one week. This inspired me to take a trip down memory lane and dive into the depths of the early 2000s. Believe it or not, 2007 was ten years ago and things have changed drastically.

Let’s start with what we wore. 2007 was the year of high-waisted jeans and leggings underneath dresses. Celebrities and fashion magazines take credit for fully embracing the high-waisted jeans trend. Forget ripped jeans and focus on those boot-cuts. As for the leggings underneath the dresses, we can thank popular TV shows like Gossip Girl and The Hills for inspiring the iconic look. 2007 was also the peak of the scene and emo movement. Music artists like Paramore, Fall Out Boy, and Avril Lavigne were huge influencers in the fashion department. As far as makeup was concerned, it was all about colors, colors, colors. If you weren’t wearing a bright colored eyeshadow, you were rocking colored eyeliner or a bold lip. Unlike the eyebrow boom in 2017, celebrities were rocking a thin and tweezed brow.

As for technology, 2007 was the year of the iPhone. It was time to trade in those Blackberries and flip phones for Apple’s breakthrough invention. 2007 was also that awkward year where everyone was starting to make the transition from Facebook to Myspace. We were jamming out to Rihanna’s “Umbrella,” Soulja Boy’s “Crank That,” and Sean Kingston’s “Beautiful Girls.” Even Taylor Swift was just a mere 17 years old with only a self-titled album and a small group of exes. Let’s also not forgot this was the year of Britney Spear’s ultimate breakdown.

In some not so pleasant news, 2007 was the beginning of The Great Recession. The recession officially lasted from late 2007 to mid 2009. It began with the bursting of an 8 trillion dollar housing bubble, and the results were major cutbacks to consumer spending (stateofworkingamerica). In total the US labor force lost over eight million jobs, and it was the worst economic blunder since The Great Depression.

Looking back, 2007 is often a year that is looked over. However, once you really start comparing trends, things have trained drastically. It’s important to remember our past to maintain those precious memories while simultaneous moving towards the future and growing.