Healing Crystals: Effective or All Hype?

Example of a beginners set of popular healing crystals.

Habits of a Modern Hippie

Habits of a Modern Hippie

Madison Preston, Editor-in Chief

Whether you’ve seen them pop up on your Instagram feed or you’ve stumbled up a few in an indie shop, healing crystals are gaining popularity once again. Contrary to initial beliefs, the games are more than just a paperweight or shiny piece of jewelry.

So what do these stones really do? The crystals are the focal point of crystal healing therapy which consists of placing stones on the body to draw out negative or toxic energy. This is an alternate medical technique believed to protect against diseases (livescience). People often believe this type of therapy can be used as a substitute for medical treatments and medications. However, that is a common misconception and healing therapy actually compliments your pre-existing medical routine rather than acts as a substitute for it. A typical professional healing crystal session lasts about an hour and will usually run about $70. Much of the crystals effects are purely mental, and a big portion of it is believed to be purely placebo.

You don’t need to attend professional healing sessions to be a crystal lover. Most people actually keep them in their room or living space to draw out any negative energy. Claire Reddick (12) said she would “love to get some for herself to admire and test out.” Even simply holding stones and meditating is meant to produce results. These crystals aren’t magic, and they won’t miraculously fixed a bad attitude, but one must have to be open minded and willing going into it. The three most popular crystals are clear quartz, amethyst, and rose quartz. Clear quartz is nicknames the “Master Healer” and is a multi purpose stone. Its transparency makes it capable of healing everything from physical to emotional issues. Amethyst is known as the “All Purpose Stone” and is available in a variety of colors or variation. They are believed to provide a higher intuition and clarity in daily life. Lastly, rose quartz is a soothing stone meant to open one up to love and peace. This will bring one back to equilibrium when they’re feeling emotionally unstable.

These stones are a little tricky to find and (pun intended) hidden gems scattered in random stores. I’ve found stones everywhere from Homegoods to Urban Outfitters. It’s important to open your mind to new options and remedies because you never know what may work for you.