What Really Matters in Music: Sound vs Lyrics

As EDM's popularity rises, are people losing interest in the story told by the lyrics?

Libra Rising Music

Libra Rising Music

Madison Preston, Editor-in-Chief

A song is where words and rhythm mesh into a lone piece of art. A happy medium between the world of poetry and the world of composing. As the years have progressed, EDM music’s popularity has slowly pushed its way into the mainstream industry. Often times, EDM songs contain minimal to no lyrics at all and purely consist of percussion which is a drastic difference from the usual pop ballads played on the radio. It posed the question as to what people value more in their music: lyrics or beats?

Lyrics are the real storytellers in music. They directly communicate a message to the listening audience. Setting a tone and emotion for the next few minutes. Unfortunately, lyric meanings are slowly digressing due to manufactured pop songs. Ever swear the newest pop hit on the radio is recycled? The music industry heavily manipulates what and how often the public hears new tracks. ”Human beings crave familiarity,” and several studies show that people will chose what’s familiar to them over their proclaimed music taste (Mic Network). However there are several artists out in the industry such as Ed Sheeran, Camila Cabello, and Sam Smith who still value the integrity of the words blended into their melody. Music lover Christine Choi (12) believes that “with the music that has been recently coming out, what the music sounds like is valued more than what the music is saying, but [she] thinks that the most important part of music is the lyrics. The sound should just be the background that reinforces the emotion the words bring out.”

Although lyrics hold a major role in songwriting and the music industry, the flow and rhythm of the song holds significant influence as well. EDM artists such as Cashmere Cat, Marshmello, Snakehips, and Flume have created major fan bases with the newest generation. These artists are even breaking there way into mainstream pop radio through hit collaborations with artists like Ariana Grande, Selena Gomez, and Chance The Rapper. These songs often don’t even have lyrics, but something about the beat intoxicates the audience and reels them in.

Music is such a personal choice. Everyone has different tastes and preferences. The debate between lyrics vs beats may remain unsolved, but they can both be appreciated and valued simultaneously.