CFA Leader Academy: Do Good December 2017

Madison Preston and Nikita Kheni enjoy precious laughs and stories from the women of Sunrise Senior Living.

Sarah Shay

Sarah Shay

Madison Preston, Editor-in-Chief

After a few months of leader labs and workshops, the Chick-Fil-A Leader Academy set out for their first service project of the year. Do Good December gives the Leader Academy members a chance to embrace the season of giving and embark on a project of their choice from the planning to execution.

Several members traveled to Sunrise Senior Living of Yorba Linda to host a Christmas tea and craft with the senior citizens. Tablecloths were laid, centerpieces were set, and tea was poured. The senior citizens enjoyed apricot tea with pastries while working on their craft. This years craft was an adorable, little pine cone Christmas trees. This consisted of a mini pot and pinecone, and with the help of leader academy members, the senior citizens added their own personality into decorating the trees.

It was so refreshing to bond with the women over such a simple craft. They have so many fascinating and inspiring stories to hear. By just offering my undivided attention to these women, they taught me valuable lessons and brought a smile to my face. Veteran Leader Academy member Nikita Kheni (12) thought “the experience was heartwarming. They have so many lessons and stories to pass down to us and it brings [her] so much joy to see the smiles on their faces.” These women are so used to their daily routines that we don’t even realize how special these events truly are to them. It’s so simple to channel energy into a fun project like this and truly make their day.

The Chick-Fil-A leader Academy is no stranger to Sunrise. This will be the clubs fourth visit to the location within the past couple years. The positive energy and sweet smiles just keep us coming back. The club is all about the idea of impact through action. Words are thrown around all the time, but it is the actions carried out that have the biggest effect on others.