Another Day, Another Goodbye

Manigualt-Newman+will+continue+in+office+until+January+20%2C2018.+
Manigualt-Newman will continue in office until January 20,2018.

The Washington Post

The Washington Post

Paige Weingarten, Editor-in-Chief

With only 332 days in office under his belt, Trump’s White House has been a revolving door of staff members coming and going in record time.  The latest departure from Donald Trump’s staff came as a shock to some, but a relief to others. Omarosa Manigault-Newman, an aide to the President, announced her resignation from her White House position of  top communications official of the White House Office of Public Liaison last Wednesday.

The resignation was slightly expected however, due to the decreasing importance of Manigualt-Newman’s position. What the big story was centered on was the controversy surrounding her exit. Reports from various sources initially stated that Omarosa was physically removed from the White House grounds by Secret Service following an intense verbal altercation with White House Chief of Staff John Kelly. Initial reports also said that Manigualt-Newman did not actually resign on her own, but was fired by Trump, the very man who fired her from “The Apprentice” years ago. Her departure from the White House was covered by numerous media sources and even was included in this week’s episode of “Saturday Night Live” where she was playfully removed from the “Weekend Update” sketch, but denied that she was fired and instead insisted that she was removing herself.

Omarosa recently broke her silence on the ordeal, denying all reports that she was fired, forcefully removed, and was involved in a heated altercation with John Kelly. Manigualt-Newman claims that she resigned because she was “uncomfortable” and “unhappy” in her position (news.com.au). Conflicting reports lie in why Omarosa’s security pass was deactivated, whether it had been purposeful by the Secret Service or if, in her words, was changed because of her shifting status. Clarity was presented when the Secret Service’s Twitter account tweeted that “Reporting regarding Secret Service personnel physically removing Omarosa Manigault Newman from the @WhiteHouse complex is incorrect”  and “The Secret Service was not involved in the termination process of Ms Manigault Newman or the escort off of the complex. Our only involvement in this matter was to deactivate the individual’s pass which grants access to the complex” (CNN). Manigualt-Newman is still technically on the White House staff until January 20, 2018, so she is expected to release a more conclusive and official statement later.

It appears that a majority of the initial reports of Omarosa Manigualt-Newman’s departure from the White House were falsified, but at the end of the day, it is still another exit from Trump’s staff in his less than a year in office. One can only hope that the new year will bring in a more stable White House Staff.