All in for Justice League

The official theatrical release poster for Justice League. Photo courtesy of justiceleaguethemovie.com.

Eric Garcia, Editor

Justice League is a film directed by Zack Snyder and stars an ensemble cast including Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Gal Gadot, Ezra Miller, Jason Momoa, Ray Fisher, Jeremy Irons, Diane Lane, Connie Nielsen, and J. K. Simmons. The film is based on the popular super hero team from DC Comics. This film had a lot of (or lack of) expectations to fill. The previous five films in the DC Extended Universe (DCEU) have been very lackluster, with the exception of Wonder Woman. Director Zack Snyder, had to leave production of the film due to a family matter, so Joss Whedon (director of The Avengers and Avengers: Age of Ultron) stepped in order to finish postproduction and reshoots. Warner Bros, fearing the film is going to bomb at the box office, also ordered to film to be under two hours, so theaters can play it more often. The production of the film was something to behold and who knows if the full story will ever come out.

The following section may contain spoilers for Justice League. Proceed with caution.

Following the death of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman decide that the best way to honor him is to put together a team of superheroes whose mission is to protect any threats that invade Earth. Meanwhile, Steppenwolf and his army of Parademons arrive on Earth to locate three objects called the Mother Boxes that contain mass power. He manages to capture two of them from Themyscira and Atlantis. Concurrently, Batman and Wonder Woman mange to locate the members of the team Aquaman, Cyborg, and the Flash. Initially, only the Flash accepts, but after seeing the destruction that Steppenwolf has caused, the other two eventually join in. However, seeing that the five of them aren’t powerful enough, a plan is devised to bring back Superman. But, upon doing that, Superman fights all the members of team and manages to beat them and it’s not until his girlfriend Lois Lane appears that he snaps back into reality. Eventually, they all meet back at a power plant in Russia to fight and defeat Steppenwolf.

Let’s make one thing clear. Yes, this film is better than Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice. It is clear that the studio took the criticisms from that film and applied it to this one. The tone is much lighter, the characters actually make jokes and smile, and the film does not drag. However, the issues that appear in the film are common like an uninteresting villain, mediocre effects, and not enough explanation for the new characters. The new characters that appear are just there and just existence with little to no explanation of their origin.  However, all the actors did a great performance as their characters and look as if they actually had fun with it. Moreover, overall that what the film is fun. It’s not something that should be critically analyzed, but it would be a film to put on and turn off your brain. As Jacob Ninomiya (12) says, “It’s definitely better than Batman v. Superman.”