Pokémon The Movie: I Choose You Review

The limited theatrical release poster for the film. Photo courtesy of fathomevents.com.

Eric Garcia, Editor

It’s been twenty years since the Pokémon anime debuted on to televisions everywhere. The show has proven to become just as popular if not more popular than the video games they are based off. In fact, some people just know the conglomerate franchise for the anime. Speaking of the Pokémon anime Khoi Tran (12) says “I always enjoy watching the show and seeing all the cool Pokémon on screen.” To celebrate to the milestone anniversary, it was decided to take the series back to the beginning. Instead of having a film set in Alola (the region from Pokémon Sun/Moon and where the anime is currently taking place), audiences are heading back to Kanto. The films is a retelling of the original season of the anime, with a few minor liberalities. The film also takes place in an alternate universe, making it not cannon to the current anime series. Ash Ketchum returns to wearing his original outfit and begins with quest to become a Pokémon master. The film was released in Japan on July 15, but after much fan request, The Pokémon Company announced that the film will receive a limited theatrical release in the US, marking the first time a Pokémon film has been screened in theaters in over ten years. The film was screened in theaters on November 5, 6, 11, and 14. Fans who attended the screening were eligible to receive a special limited edition Pikachu card from the Pokémon Trading Card Game and QR code that would give them a special Pikachu wearing Ash’s hat from the film in the new Pokémon Ultra Sun/ Ultra Moon games.

The film begins with Ash being late to receive his first Pokémon from Professor Oak. As soon as he arrives, he finds out that all the starter Pokémon have been taken. Still wanting to receive a Pokémon, Professor Oak offers him Pikachu and although he came off as rude and ill mannered, Ash happily takes it and sets off on his journey. At first, there is some butting heads between the two as Pikachu refuses to enter his Pokeball, but after protecting each other from a flock of Spearow, they learn to earn each other’s trust. They also see the legendary Pokémon, Ho-oh, who drops a rainbow colored wing. Ash and Pikachu then set off to find Ho-oh in order to battle it. Along the way, they encounter many trainers, new Pokémon, and new locations from within the Kanto region.

This film was really well done. It is a great way to commemorate the twentieth anniversary of the popular anime. Many highlights include, the beautiful animation, great characters with well-done performances from their voice actors, a fun soundtrack (which includes a remix of the original Pokémon theme song), and a great story. The film was able to take the classics moments from the show and update them to today’s animation. If there was one minor issue with the film, it’s that it’s kind of fast pace. The characters are always doing something, but not enough time is dedicated to what they’re doing as they immediate move on. It’s understandable since the film is an hour and half, but it would have been great if a little more time could been dedicated to the film. The films is more of a cliff notes version of the original season, but it’s a well done cliff notes. Pokémon the Movie: I Choose You is a great film that is recommend for all Pokémon fans to check out, even if they didn’t grew up with the original series.