Christmas ‘Round the Globe

The globe, suitably decorated in a Christmas hat, symbolizes how Christmas is a diverse and international holiday.

Christmas Place Blog

Sanaz Kharazmi, Photojournalist

In America, where every holiday (especially Christmas) is exaggerated and capitalized, Americans are mostly familiar with material celebrations. Typically, many are mostly concerned with the brilliant lights, spectacular shows, festivities, parties, and decor. In fact, according to Lauren Salley (12), the way a society celebrates the holidays can “indicate the values of a society” through traditional acts such as “raising money to give to the less fortunate.” While in America people celebrate a multitude of holidays, many other countries who are less ethnically diverse focus on fewer, more traditional holidays.

Interestingly enough, south of the border, Mexicans hold nine Posada parties from December 16th to Christmas Eve (or “Noche Buena”) to celebrate Mary and Joseph’s search for housing. Every night is hosted by a different household, and children journey from neighbors’ doors singing a song which mimics Mary and Joseph’s pleading for a room, until they are finally welcomed to a home and the party begins. During the celebration, Mexicans play a famous game of piñata, typically in a spiked shape which represent the “seven deadly sins.” Instead of a tree, most Mexican households replicate the nativity scene of baby Jesus’ birth, or a “nacimiento” (WhyChristmas.com).

Although the Middle East is a predominantly Muslim region, many Christians have thrived here since before the Islamic Caliphate. Countries like Palestine, Lebanon, Jordan, Iran, and Egypt have always been home to many of these believers, and Armenia- although technically not in the Middle East- is majority Armenian Apostolic (Advantour.com). Similarly, in Bethlehem, Palestine, many flock from around the world to witness festivities such as street and musical performances and near the Church of Nativity, which is rumored to be the site of Christ’s birth (YourMiddleEast.com). Furthermore, in countries like Iran, which is ruled by an Islamic government, Christians freely celebrate Christmas at church and many engage in Americanized traditions such as the purchasing of a Christmas tree.

Although a snowy Christmas is a rare occurrence here, many Africans also practice the Christian holiday. As a result of colonialism, many African countries, such as South Africa and Liberia, adopt “Western” traditions to celebrate Christmas. For instance, Malawi children receive small sums of money as a gift after singing door-to-door carols. Generally, the common gift-exchange, caroling, decorating, and dinners are still prevalent. Due to the diverse cultures and climates of Africa, the dinner meals vary depending on the different regions and countries (TripSavvy.com).

Being so ardently absorbed in Western Christmas culture can occasionally lead to an commonly believed falsehood that only Christian-majority western countries celebrate the holiday. However, Christmas is a popular and global phenomenon that Asian and African countries also observe.