Club Spotlight: Mormon Club

Co-Presidents of Mormon Club: Braden Ure, Cole Smith, Brooklynn Furniss. Photographed by Nicole Gagnon.

At Yorba Linda High School there are numerous clubs on campus. Each of these clubs allows students at YLHS to get more involved within the school and promotes a friendlier environment for everyone. One club that stands out is the Mormon Club due to its ability to teach students about the Mormon religion, along with allowing them to reach out to one another.

On board, there are several members who contribute to making Mormon Club functional. To begin, Brooklynn Furniss (12), Braden Ure (12), and Cole Smith (12) reign as co-presidents. Also, Jasmin Harns (12) holds the title of Vice President. Meanwhile, Bryan Bloom (staff) is the teacher advisor for the club. Co-president, Brooklynn Furniss said the main reason for starting this club was to “clear up misconceptions about the Mormon religion that many students may have, and do so in a fun and interactive environment that allows people to get more involved. Many students ask questions during the meetings and it’s always good to get to answer them. Therefore, the students are able to leave with a better understanding of our church.” After asking the other co-president, Braden Ure what his favorite part of the club was, he said, “I enjoy taking leadership in Mormon Club because of the people I get to meet through it. Even though it is Mormon Club, most of the people who attend aren’t even Mormon, so I think it is cool that I get to talk about my religion with others and hang out with everyone! I have had fun working with Brooklynn and Cole putting this on and making a club where everyone feels welcome and can hang out together.”

During most meetings, the board members start the meeting off with a video or presentation which contains information about the Mormon Religion. Sometimes they begin with a scripture one of the co-presidents picks out him or herself. After the presentation, they hand out pizza, but before doing so they pray over the food for everyone to enjoy. Also, while people socialize, eventually the board members answer any questions the club members have about the Mormon religion, or anything they would like to know further about.

Mormon Club has contributed to making Yorba Linda High School a more diverse high school, and it continues to allow students to obtain any information they may have about the Mormon religion while getting to know others interested or already involved in it as well.