Cheering through the School Year

After the award ceremony, JV Cheer is in good spirit after taking  a first place trophy.

After the award ceremony, JV Cheer is in good spirit after taking a first place trophy.

Margaret Reddick

Margaret Reddick

Allison Harris, Photojournalist

The cheer and song team join together once again fit another astounding start to their competition season. With new rules and regulations to the now very new CIF sport, the athletes and coaches must work around to make sure that routines abide by these rules. The squads work and perform throughout the summer gearing up their stunts and dancing for the Mustang Football season.

After a competitive season this year, our mustangs fought there way to the semi- finals, but endured a tough lost. By end November, the football season might have come to an end, but the Yorba Linda High School Cheer and Song leaders were just preparing for their crucial first competition. First year cheerleader, Bailey Nicoletti (10) reveals her experience on the new team, “With this being my first year as a Yorba Linda varsity cheerleader I have absolutely loved it so far! My first competition was so much fun and I am so proud of my team and the way we preform! I am extremely grateful to be part of such an amazing program with such great people!” The team’s preparation would soon lead them to how they would place on December 2nd’s competition at the Anaheim Convention Center.

All cheer teams arrived arrived at 11 o’clock in the morning before all the dance teams, gearing up with tall pony tails and big red bows. Teams stretch for about an hour before they head to an official timed warmup floor which then leads you directly onto the competition mat to perform for the panel of judges. In warmups, a full squad is usually assigned a tumbling mat used for perfecting your skills before you put your routine all together, a mat used to warm up the stunts and anything else, and lastly a full set of cheer mats designed to run the routine just as it will be on stage.

Over the weekend, the cheer teams killed the competition bringing home a first place from the junior varsity Cheer team consisting of twelve freshman and sophomores who put in all their hard work over a period six months. The varsity cheer team placed second with only a couple points below the first place team.

Later on the afternoon, comes the song leading teams who hope their dancing technique, facials and turns will place them in a top spot. JV Song danced was awarded second place against some of the toughest competitors they will see throughout the season. Varsity song took home a first place for their impeccable jazz performance.

Cheer and Song practice to perfect every skill they have to compete in the biggest competition, USA Nationals in February.