Cannabis in Canada?

Canadian legislators will decide here in July whether or not to pass the

huffingtonpost.ca

Canadian legislators will decide here in July whether or not to pass the "Cannabis Bill"

Paige Weingarten, Editor-in-Chief

Arguably one of the most controversial and pressing issues facing the nation is the legalization of marijuana and the adverse effects that it could present to society. While the debate continues to rage on in the United States, other North American countries are following suit and having their own discussions, including the neighbors to the north, Canada.

The Canadian government is working to pass the “Cannabis Act”, a bill that would legalize the use of recreational marijuana. They introduced the bill on Tuesday to the Canadian Senate, and it already has gained support from a majority of Canadian citizens and the Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau (CNN).

But why? Its a frequently asked question when the legalization of marijuana is involved. In the case of Canada, the answer is revenue, and it could be in the billions. Marijuana Business Daily reports that the amount of income generated from Canada’s legal pot market could range anywhere from $2.3 billion to $4.5 billion by the year 2021. Canadian legislators hope to have the bill pass by July of 2018.

In addition to a nationwide legalization that the United States has yet to achieve, Canada’s passing of this law would be built upon infrastructure already developed in the form of online purchasing. Canadians are already able to purchase their weed online and have it delivered to them; dispensaries aren’t as popular.

The United States’ biggest hurdle in the cannabis controversy is the fact that while certain states have legalized the use of recreational marijuana, federal law still prohibits it. Canada’s efforts to have a nationwide authorization of the drug beg the question, will the Land of the Free be next, or will the war on weed wage on in the US?

Nikita Kheni (12) finds it interesting that Canada is “approaching the subject of marijuana legalization as a national issue” whereas in the United States it is legalized by individual states. She thinks that “Canada’s potential passing of the Cannabis Bill could cause the United States to reconsider their methods in legalization” and maybe the US could see quicker movement towards full legalization in the near future.

If the “Cannabis Bill” passes through Canadian legislature this upcoming summer, Canada could see a great increase in overall income to the country, but critics still beg the question of should recreational marijuana even be legal? The controversial topic stands as disputable as ever, and all eyes will be on Canada in July to witness the verdict.

1 Comment

One Response to “Cannabis in Canada?”

1. Sharleen Wilson on December 7th, 2017 8:02 PM

Your writing is impressive, Paige, and I wish you all the best as you await news from the universities of your choice.

[Reply]

• Cannabis in Canada?

FDA Approves Tracking Device in a Pill-form

• Cannabis in Canada?

UCI Student Produces First ever Scholarship Program for Refugees

• Cannabis in Canada?

Black Friday versus Cyber Monday

• Cannabis in Canada?

In State or Out of State Colleges: Which are More Beneficial

• Cannabis in Canada?

Trump in Asia

• Cannabis in Canada?

Disney Land Legionnaire’s Outbreak 2018

• Cannabis in Canada?

Cards Against Humanity Wants to Stop Trump’s Wall

• Cannabis in Canada?

What in the Name of WikiLeaks?

• Cannabis in Canada?

Australians Respond ‘Yes’ to Marriage Equality

• Cannabis in Canada?

The Season of Holiday Injuries Is Here

Cannabis in Canada?