2018 Grammy Nominations

Kendrick Lamar earned several nominations, including Album of the Year.

Billboard.com

Paige Weingarten, Editor-in-Chief

Awards season is still a few months away, but this past week the nominations for the 2018 Grammy Awards were released to the general public, and they’ve garnered some mixed reviews. Among the nominated are performers who owned the charts in 2017, including Kendrick Lamar and Bruno Mars, but this year’s snubs were also the subject of discussion for many. Competition in each category is tight which stands as a testament to the incredible year of music that 2017 has been.

Leading the attention is the category of Album of the Year. The nominees for this prestigious award include “Awaken, My Love!” by Childish Gambino, an album rumored to be one of his last, “4:44” by JAY-Z, his alleged response to Beyoncé’s “Lemonade” in which she mentions his infidelity, “DAMN” by Kendrick Lamar, the hip hop mogul’s fourth studio album,  “Melodrama” by Lorde, her long-awaited sophomore album, and “24K Magic” by the multitalented Bruno Mars (ABC News). Christine Choi (12) hopes that Kendrick Lamar will take home the win in this category “not just because it was such an amazing album, but because he was robbed of the title last year with “To Pimp A Butterfly.”‘

The nominees for Record of the Year are just as impressive. Those vying for the prize include “Redbone” by Childish Gambino, “Despacito” by Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee featuring Justin Bieber, “The Story Of O.J.” by Jay-Z ,“HUMBLE.” by Kendrick Lamar , and “24K Magic” by Bruno Mars. The Best New Artist category is full of bright new talent that will undoubtedly be attending their first Grammys’ of many. Khalid, Alessia Cara, Lil Uzi Vert, Julia Michaels, and SZA make up this group of rising stars.

But as is every year, the topic of most attention are the “snubs,” or the artists or albums that the public and critics alike believe deserved more recognition than they received. Headlining the list is Ed Sheeran, who only received nominations for two categories, but none of them for “Shape of You.” Newly single artist Harry Styles was also denied adequate attention in the eyes of critics, as he was shut out of nominations  this year along with the rest of his former One Direction bandmates, except for Zayn Malik who was nominated with Taylor Swift for “I Don’t Want to Live Forever (ABC News).”

The 60th annual Grammy Awards will take place on January 28th, 2018 at Madison Square Garden in New York City hosted by James Corden.