The Battle of Brand Loyalty

The+battle+of+Apple+vs+Samsung+is+one+of+the+many+battles+of+brand+loyalty.+Photo+courtesy+of+technobuffalo.com.+
The battle of Apple vs Samsung is one of the many battles of brand loyalty. Photo courtesy of technobuffalo.com.

Eric Garcia, Editor

As is often the case, whenever a person wants to buy something, they would always buy from a brand that they feel makes a quality product that will not disappoint them. However, sometimes just a look at the brand’s logo is all they need to convince them to purchase it and only those products manufactured by that company.

This is known as brand loyalty. Brand loyalty usually involves consumers purchasing a product from a certain brand, not because it’s necessarily cheaper or more convenient to use than the competitor, but because it’s made by that certain brand. For example, say someone is a loyal consumer of Apple products owning products like an iPhone X, an Apple Watch, Apple Tv, an iMac, a Mac Book, etc. That costumer as clearly shown that Apple has won his or her trust when it comes to technology. However, let’s say Samsung releases the Galaxy Note 8, a phone with better specs and capabilities than the iPhone X and cost a bit cheaper. The superior product is obviously the Samsung Note 8 however, that is irreverent to the Apple consumer as they see the Samsung product as inferior and chose to stick to Apple solely because of the brand.

This can be a good or bad thing for the consumer. It can come as good because, having trust and faith in a brand means that the consumer won’t be having a hard time trying to find a certain product when they need it. It can also be bad because in some cases the consumer can develop blind loyalty and sometimes fails to see the shortcomings of a product their preferred brand releases. Also in some cases, the brand will pick up on their blind loyalty and try to take advantage of them by occasionally selling a product at a price that is higher than what the actually product is worth or trying to sell them something that they don’t need, knowing that the consumer will still buy the product no matter the cost or the shortcomings. On other occasions, loyal customers will often defend the company for the inferior product. This raises the question as to how they got that way.

More often than not, it is a false misconception that the brand and the company they follow is their friend. Sometimes companies will reward consumers for purchasing or giving high praise to their products by giving them discounts, letting them enter giveaways, or sometimes a free product. They want to create the impression to their consumers that they will never let them down and that they can always trust them with their money. Another reason maybe that a consumer is following the worldwide trend of purchasing a product from a certain brand. This could be because of positive word of mouth or seeing everyone with a certain product and wanting to not feel left out.

Whatever the case maybe Brand Loyalty is something that will continue as long as there are companies who just want to make money. It is all a part of the capitalist world people are in today and who knows how long it will last. Joanna Jones (10) sums up her feelings about brand loyalty by saying, “You do you. But I’ll always buy the better product.”