Mustang Madness

Yorba Linda Varsity Basketball and Coaches

Magic Moments Sports Photography

Magic Moments Sports Photography

Allie Steward, Photojournalist

Mustang’s are excited to hear that as football season draws to a close, basketball season is just beginning. All the hype students have doesn’t have to end just yet. Thursday, November 16, our basketball teams killed it at Mustang Madness. The freshman, junior varsity, varsity, and YLHS basketball alumni put on several entertaining games for the student body.

Each year at Mustang Madness, to get the students engaged, Chick-Fil-A offers free food from them for a year if someone can make a basket from half court. This year not one, but two lucky students made it in and won the free Chick-Fil-A. It’s going to be a good year for them!

The students and parents loved watching junior varsity battle against the coaches. The game was close with a score of 22 to 17 in favor of JV. Surprisingly, the coaches put up a good fight- one even knocked a player down! Most of the team is sophomores and a few juniors, so it was nice to see them highlighted and put their skills to the test.

Varsity players went head to head with their old teammates as Yorba Linda alumni came back to prove to the students that they still got game. The first half of the game was a blowout, varsity dominated. The players on varsity rotated out with other players not only so everyone could get equal playing time, but also to let the players rest. Alumni, however, did not have this luxury. With only enough players to fill the court, no one had time on the bench. They did make a fierce comeback in the second half, but not good enough to beat the current YL team. The final score turned out to be 74 to 65 in favor of varsity. It is sure to be an exciting season.

As entertaining as these games were to watch, Cheer, Song, and Dance Company also added to the night by demonstrating routines they have been working on for months. Dance Company preformed a group routine with the entire team, and also included a jazz style dance with only four of the members. The crowd went wild for both! JV Cheer demonstrated part of their new competition routine, while Varsity engaged the fans with crazy stunts and a cheer. Both Song teams showed off parts of their competition routine, which turned out to be crowd favorites. The energy from all squads helped get the crowd dancing and cheering  along.

Yorba Linda High School is exploding with school spirit.  Tons students came out to support these athletes. It will be exciting to see how our basketball boys do this season! Make sure you show your support and come out to the games!