Why Do So Many Students Ditch Career Day?

Career Day is supposed to be a day where students are introduced to viable career choices- but others opt not to attend.

El Rancho Elementary

El Rancho Elementary

Stephanie Pocci, Photojournalist

How many students do you know ditched Career Day?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Career Day is a day where many high schools in the Placentia Unified School District host various skilled people in their professions on campus.  The goal of this day is to introduce students to different types of career pathways for their future.  Many students, though, complain how there is lack of incentive to come on this day due to lack of variety.  Nowadays when Career Day happens at school, a significant amount of students are found absent or “ditching.”  

As Yorba Linda High School students, we get this luxury that most high schools do not have,  yet, students, especially seniors, take this day for granted and use this day as another ditch day.  This year, almost 70% of the senior class skipped Career Day.  Some teachers, such as Mr. Shelley, even reported only having two students showing up to one of their classes.  

Many such seniors complain how Career Day happens to be too late in the year for them.  As stated by YLHS student, Max Stentensko (12), “Career Day is kind of a waste of time for seniors because it is so late in the year.  The day it happens, there are only two weeks left to complete college applications so most of us are already settled on what our majors will be.”  Seniors are already submitting college applications and already have decided what they would like to be.  Due to this, some seniors believe there is no reason to attend or even care.

Students at YLHS also protest that we should have more variety in our professions on Career Day, even including seniors.  Many such students like Daniel Adler (12) profess that “very few actually delved into the categories of business, technology, social work…” These Career Days tend to cater little to technology careers.  The only ones premiered at Career Day this year was a civil engineer and a graphic designer (who did not even show up).

Many students complain about the flaws of Career Day, yet nothing is being done to change it.  Even freshmen and sophomores are starting to be frequently absent on Career Day as well.

Fellow freshman Ethan Pocci (9) believes that the “amount of professions on Career Day are too insignificant” and “there are too many or too little of one profession.”  For instance, a very popular session on Career Day is the acting session that promotes a career in visual performance or even voice acting. However, the limit for these sessions are quite small compared to the population of the school, which inhibits access to these sessions from the majority.  This means that in order to get into these fun sessions, not only do you have to be fast, but lucky as well.  This also goes for the Disney career session where chairs are taken up before the bell even rings.  

So many students ditch Career Day because, to be blunt, it just caters to a narrow portion of students. Significant changes and additions need to be made for Career Day for it to start actually mattering to students again.