2017 World Series Champions

The Astros celebrating their win after the intense games. Photographed by Jamie Squire.

And… The Astros win! The 2017 MLB names the Houston Astros World Series Champions. After countless games and months of practicing, everything paid off for this one Texan team, and seven exciting games kept each baseball fan fascinated throughout the entire series.

The Astros have appeared in the World Series games in 2005, only to be beaten by the White Sox after four short games. However, 2017 marks the first year, after 56 seasons, of finally winning the championship. The Dodgers, their rival team this year, have been lucky enough to gain 6 titles of World Series winners. Both teams have been preparing intensely for the games since the very beginning of the season, April 2.

Before the World Series games began, the Astros faced off the Yankees with seven captivating games coming out victorious in the end. Meanwhile, the Dodgers faced up against 2016 World Champions, the Cubs, with five intense games.

The first game began on October 24 leading with a slight win from the Dodgers, 3-1. As the series moved on, the Astros picked up the pace and defeated the Dodgers with an intense win of 5-1 during the second game, and 5-3 in the third. Eventually, the Dodgers were able to sneak in another win during the fourth game. However, the fifth game kept every baseball fan, and interested civilian, at the edge of their seats. Inning to inning, the players were able to keep the game alive and going strong. While the Dodgers were able to maintain a strong lead in the first few innings, the Astros were eventually able to tie up the game by the fourth inning. Hit after hit, the Astros were able to take the win from the game with a outrageous score 13-12. Just when all of America was sure the Astros were about to take the reign of World Champions, the Dodgers pulled out one last win during the sixth game. Finally, the seventh game aired on November 1 and all fans were eager to see which team would win the title. After long, intense games, the Astros pulled out an amazing win over the Dodgers during the final game of the series.

Yorba Linda High School students are amazed at the outcome of the games. Loyal Dodgers fan, Matt Liao (12), states that he is “bummed to know the Dodgers lost,” but “proud of the amount of work each team put in.” All in all, each team worked intensely throughout the season and worked their hardest up until the final few games.