50 Years of Gracious Living

The sign that greets everyone when they enter the city, Photo courtesy of waymarking.com

Eric Garcia, Editor

The year was 1834. Mexican Governor José Figueroa has granted the 13,328-acre Rancho Cañón de Santa Ana to Bernardo Yorba. Development of the land would soon begin with the construction of the Bernardo Yorba Hacienda and the Yorba Cemetery. Years later, Bernardo’s great-grand daughter Angelina Yorba marries Samuel Kraemer, who then becomes the owner of the land.

In 1907, a portion of the land was sold off to the Janss Investment Company. They decide to call the land Yorba Linda or Beautiful Yorba. At the time, less than 50 people lived in the area. The land would soon be used for agriculture and manufacturing with many lemon and orange groves being planted. Soon, The Pacific Telephone & Telegraph Company began providing service to the area. The area began to grow more in beginning in 1912 with its first post office being built, the Yorba Linda Citrus Association was founded, the Southern California Edison Company began providing electricity, and the first church was constructed. Also in 1912, the Pacific Electric Railway, built a rail line that connected the downtown area to Los Angeles, it primarily used for citrus transportation. In 1913, the Yorba Linda school was constructing so that the children in the area could get an education. In addition, that same year, the chamber of commerce was set up, a library opened as a part of the school, and avocado trees were first planted adding to the citrus. 1913 was also the year; a certain boy was born in the city to the Nixon family. They decide to name him Richard. The family would move out of the area a couple of years later. No one really knows what happened to that little Richard Nixon, though some say that he would go on to become President, though what are the chances of that happening? Continuing into 1917, the first street, Yorba Linda Boulevard was paved and the local newspaper, the Yorba Linda Stat began publication. Prior to the turn of the decade, the population was set to exceed 300.

Going into in the 1960’s, that decade marked a turning point for the little town with a population of 1,000. Two years earlier in 1958, the city survived an annexation attempt from Brea. With the community turning from a rural farming area to a suburban one, they fought off two more possible annexations from Anaheim and Placentia in 1963.  Since, Yorba Linda refused to become part of another city, it was decided that it should be its own city. Thus, on November 2, 1967, the area that was first given to Bernardo Yorba over 100 years prior, officially became known as the City of Yorba Linda. And they only grew from there.

When Yorba Linda was incorporated, the population was 4,000. Since then number has grown from 30,000 in the 1980’s, 50,000 in the 90’s and about 68,235 in 2016. In the 1990’s, the Birthplace of Richard Nixon opened was a public library and museum. It would later become a federal museum. During Richard Nixon’s funeral, then incumbent President Bill Clinton as well as former Presidents Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, and George H.W Bush visited the city.  In 2007, Yorba Linda High School broke ground and officially opened in 2009. Today, the city is construction an all-new shopping center dubbed Yorba Linda Town. The new district will offer restaurants, stores, and even a movie theater, for residents to enjoy. In addition, the public library is scheduled to be relocated adjacent to the retirement home on Lakeview Ave. with a performing center to build alongside with it.

Yorba Linda has certainly come a long way. Cristian Estrada (12) recalls the city as “very calm and peaceful. Who knows what the next 50 years might bring, but one thing is for sure. The first 50 have proven that Yorba Linda certainly is the land of gracious living.