Stranger Things 2 Recap and Review

! This Article Contains Spoilers For Season 2 And Is Opinionated !

Season 2 of Stranger Things returned to Netflix on October 27th with 9 episodes.

Jackson Davis

Jackson Davis

Gabby McCutchan, Photojournalist

Stranger Things, a Netflix original, debuted in summer of 2016 and was, unexpectedly, a huge hit nationally and globally. It takes place in 1980s Indiana, where the small, desolate town of Hawkins drastically becomes the hotspot for supernatural occurrences. Season 2 of Stranger Things was mainly about Eleven, or Jane, discovering herself and her past, while season 1 encompassed the disappearance and the discovery of young Will Byers and the ghastly chain of events that manifested. Will Byers’ disappearance was only the beginning as Hawkins is once again thrown into a loop of secret government experiments, supernatural forces, and tension between social relationships.

The arrival of new characters such as Kali (Eight), Bob (Joyce’s Boyfriend), and Max (Madmax) all have essential roles in the formation and shaping of season 2. Jessica Miyahira (10) says, “personally for me, I think Max’s role wasn’t all that necessary, she didn’t really stand out as a character and she wasn’t a critical character either.” “Madmax”, otherwise known as Max Mayfield, is introduced into season 2 after she beats Dustin’s high score at the arcade game Dig Dug. Towards the end of the season she becomes Lucas’ love interest, and so far it is unclear as to how Eleven views Max but to Jessica Miyahira (10), “I could tell Eleven felt like Max was replacing her in Mike’s party.” Unless Max’s character has yet to be fully developed and useful for the world of Stranger Things, her role is just that of a redheaded girl who caused trouble and more mayhem for the boys. 

Another coalescing of two characters that arise in a way that was shocking at first glance, but eventually turns heartwarming, is Chief Jim Hopper and Eleven, who form a bond that’s sure to be a tear-jerker. Russell Lang (10) shares his opinion, “The relationship between Hopper and Eleven was interesting to me but in a good way because you’d never think that opposites like them would come together like that.” But when Eleven soon becomes frustrated at her lack of freedom under the rule of Hopper, and she runs away where she eventually finds Kali, or, “Eight.” Eleven learns multiple things about both her past and powers while with Kali but soon returns to Hawkins to finish what she started.

For all the high expectations that were held for season 2, the Duffer Brothers outdid themselves with the creation and making of season 2. The ending of season 2 got the hopes up of many, waiting to see a season 3 develop soon.