President Trump Expected to Avoid Gun Control During Las Vegas Visit

CNN.com

CNN.com

Abigail Kim, Photojournalist

Washington lawmakers have been pressured to speak of gun control in the wake of the massacre, but President Donald Trump told reporters that he would be avoiding the topic on his trip to Las Vegas last Wednesday on October 4. Secretary Sarah Huckabee states that the president’s motive for visiting Las Vegas is to “grieve with friends and families of the victims” and offer “support to those recovering from wounds and thank the courageous first responders” (Fox News). The frightening shooting had killed 58 and injured more than 500 individuals on Sunday, October 1st during a country music festival.

“We’re not going to talk about that today… We won’t” stated Trump to University Medical Center of Southern Carolina (CNN). Because families, friends, and the nation are collectively mourning, now was not the time to talk about gun control during such a sensitive period.

According to CBS News, Trump stated that when the worst of humanity strikes, “the best of humanity responds.” He continued to directly visit the wounded in various hospitals, and gave condolences to affected families and friends.

At a somber speech at the White House, the Monday after the shooting, the President states “Our unity cannot be shattered by evil, our bonds cannot be broken by violence… it is our love that defines us today” (CNN).

Trump’s remarks revolved around past presidential pronouncements of tragedy, empathizing with the lost while uplifting souls for a brighter, more determined future with asking “God to help see [affected families] through this dark period of time” (CNN).

Valerie Pham (12) disagrees with this approach, as he should be “straightforward about the matter” instead of pushing it off. People are still waiting on the President’s response on the issue, she stated that it’s not only an “atrocity, but also a political issue as well.”

Air Force One asks Trump on Tuesday whether he was open to discussion about gun control laws, or when it would be held for discussion, and he responds with “At some point perhaps that will come. That’s not today.”

Before running for office, Trump was for certain obtained “sane, rational, and limited aspects about gun control,” stated Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer. Additionally, Schumer hopes to see bipartisan efforts to push against the “absurd law about silencers,” which are mufflers for loud gunshot noises that may make it more difficult to find the culprit (Fox News). Subsequent to the shooting, House Speaker Paul Ryan says he has “no plans of bringing the silencer bill to the House floor for a vote” (Washington Post).