The Hype ‘Til the Esperanza Game

YLHS Student Section Cheering on their Team

Daania Kalam

Daania Kalam

Allie Steward, Photojournalist

Friday, October 13 is the Yorba Linda versus Esperanza football game. Mustang’s anticipate this game all season as it is one of the most popular games. All week students’ get hyped up by various ways on campus. To rally up spirit within the school, many students have been participating in the dress up days this week. On Monday, YL students sported their favorite workout wear for the No Flex Zone dress up day. Winning definitely did not go out of style on Tuesday when Mustang’s took it back to their favorite decade. Wednesday kids decked out in red, white, and blue. We got fancy for Thursday, and Friday we will dress head to toe in Yorba Linda spirit gear. In addition to the dress up days, Esperanza and Yorba Linda face off in donating cans. For the past three years, YLHS has won the canned food drive and have only lost once in all eight years. The quad has been decked out with posters by ASB and of course, the Stable will be pumping up the football players for the big game on Friday.

Yorba Linda has won this football game the past two years and the canned food drive the past three years. Varsity football player Sean Hough (12) reports that football has “been practicing really hard” and they are “ready to crush the Aztecs” at Friday’s game. It had been a hard run losing a few valuable teammates to injuries in the past few weeks, but the team remains strong and pushes through to become better than ever. Friday night the players’ passion will shine through and their hard work will pay off.

Mustang fans are pumped and ready to cheer on our football team. Varsity cheer captain Allison Sturms (11) is “excited to cheer on the team” and hype up the stable. Football games would not be the same without our cheerleaders. For this special game, their energy must be extra high to make sure our Stable stays enthusiastic throughout the night. Sturms says that football season is one of her favorite parts about cheerleading. The YL versus Esperanza game, however, is the most fun because the cheerleaders get to enjoy the stadium full of excited fans and cheer their team to victory.

Being a former cheerleader and now being a fan in the Stable, it is safe to say both groups at YLHS truly love this school. Seeing so many students dress up for spirit week is so exciting and really gets everyone pumped up for game day. With the Roaming Rally coming up as well, students are sure to explode with school spirit.

This year, Yorba Linda is on the Away side of the stadium. This fuels the fire in our hearts and sparks YL pride in so many students. Be sure to get your tickets while you can, because at this game a ticket and ID card is required for entry. See you at the game, Mustangs!