Proud to Be Mustangs

It was a cool night for the Mustangs, as the tension was rising. Cole Magliano(12) got ready to kick the ball across the field to make the field goal for the team, closer to winning the game.The action on the football field is already energetic, but pair that with the stable and all the other football game activities, and you have yourself one spirited night.

Nikita Kheni

Nikita Kheni

Jaylin Mandley, Editor

Cheering, music playing, laughing, smiling, talking, snacking, supporting. These are just some of the lively activities you can experience amongst the crowd of a Yorba Linda High School football game. Although some students that go to the football games don’t even watch football, there is something about a YLHS football game that keeps bringing mustangs back to cheer on their home team. Whether it is standing proud in the stable or catching up with friends about all the latest and greatest, the energetic vibes that flow through the crowds at every game creates a spirited atmosphere for all students to enjoy.

Even before entering the stadium, link crew and ASB students greet YLHS students that come to the game with huge smiles that stretch their painted faces. Anyone who comes to the game early can also have their face be made into a canvas of school colors. After entering the stadium gates and walking to the top of the bleachers, the golden setting sun sets the mood for a great game that is about to begin.

The stable, the loudest part of the stadium, the heart and soul of any football game. Run by YLHS students, the stable is responsible for the chanting and cheering in support of the football team. Before each game, the stable coordinates what specific school color to wear to depict a united mob of either red, navy, or white. As a new student to the school, Sydney Bremer (9) has already recognized the enthusiasm at football games “because of the student body that puts in the effort to make the whole stadium light up in spirit.”

Halftime comes, and the football game festivities have only just begun. The people in the stands rest their vocal chords from cheering for a bit and watch the band and colorguard perform their phenomenal halftime show. Instruments boom, trill, and drum to create harmonious melodies that the band and color guard step in beat with to create a show of meticulous marching and impressive flag twirling.

Now the boys are out on the field again, and after eating the hot dogs bought at half time from the concession stand, the Mustangs are ready and energized for the second half of the game. Friends are passing around kettlecorn and gossipping about homecoming dates since homecoming is just around the corner. Everyone is laughing, smiling, and enjoying the company of friends or catching up with others they haven’t seen in awhile.

With the end of the YL vs. El Modena game nearing and the visitor team slowly making a comeback after the Mustangs had been up the entire game, the stable is just as enthusiastic as they were in the first quarter. Even those who think football is played with a net are roaring and shouting cheers for the football team to pull through. Regardless of the score, the stable continues to root for their home team, showing that they are proud to be Mustangs.