Battle of the Theme Parks

Savannah Ortiz

Savannah Ortiz

Allie Steward, Photojournalist

Halloween is just around the corner and many students prepare to drop all of their savings and purchase Knott’s Scary Farm or Disneyland Mickey’s Halloween Party tickets. These two events, while having the same basic appeal, contrast greatly. Is one event more fun than the other? What park should you invest your money in this Halloween?

Knott’s Scary Farm is notorious for its scary vibe and draws in mainly ages 13 and older. Between walking blindly around Ghost Town because of all the fog, the creepy characters that jump out to scare you, and the haunted mazes with tricks at every turn, Knott’s is sure to leave you terrified. If you’re all about fright this Halloween, Knott’s Scary Farm is the one for you. Scary Farm costs anywhere from $40 for a night ticket, or $95 for a season pass (Knotts.com).

Disneyland also decorates for the fall season. For the first time ever California Adventure decorated as well. Disneyland changes two of their most popular rides, The Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain, and turns them into spooky Halloween versions. The rest of the park sports fall leaves on lampposts, pumpkins everywhere, and of course many more characters are out to take pictures during this season. Disneyland usually attracts younger children between the ages of three to 12, however many adults and teenagers still enjoy the lighthearted spirit of the park. Alex Lee (12) says that some of us “will be…Disney fan(s) forever.”.

Mickey’s Halloween Party goes on for the entire month of October and some of September. This means the park is shut down to the public a few hours early to allow only Halloween Party guests to enjoy trick-or-treating around toon town. Mickey’s Halloween Party is sold out for 2017, but Disneyland tickets range from $91 to $120 depending on how crowded the park is (Disneyland.com).

Both theme parks change their hours to better fit the holiday specialties. Knott’s Berry Farm closes so Knott’s Scary Farm can open at seven and close at one (Knotts.com). Disneyland closes early Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday so Mickey’s Halloween Party can start at six and end at 11 (Disneyland.com).

Both parks offer tons of entertainment and specialties during this season. It is a matter of preference (and how much money you have in your bank account) to which park you decide. Whichever one you chose is a winner.