Welcome Back Dance Recap

This+is+a+depiction+of+one+of+the+classic+style+costumes+groups+would+wear+to+the+Welcome+Back+Dance.+

Evan Shank

This is a depiction of one of the classic style costumes groups would wear to the Welcome Back Dance.

Malieka Khan, Editor

Yorba Linda High School’s Welcome Back Dance took place on September 15, 2018. Overall the dance had a great turn out with students of all classes attending. It took place at 7:00pm and went on until 10:00pm  on school campus in the center of the quad.

This dance usually takes place towards the middle to end of September during the school year. In particular, this dance is seen as a much more casual event with an outdoor setting and the DJ stage right in front of the dancing area. Groups on groups flow around the said “stage” with several platforms around the area for them to stand on as well if so desired.

The informality of the dance is emphasized through its lenient dress code. For the Welcome Back Dance, groups come dressed up in costumes ranging from puns to classic football gear. The inspiration and wit of the costumes are determined by the groups going yearly. Some costumes from this year included: decks of cards, all american wear, and social media apps. These outfits all ranged from price to detail to extravagance. Several groups wore tutus while others had purchased oversized shirts and printed logos around them making them seem professionally made. With each costume being different and unique from the last, “it’s a great way to hang out with friends and meet new people”, as Justin Lopez (11) believes. 

In the beginning at around 7:00 a majority of the students had not shown up yet in their outfits. However, by the end of the night, a large section of the quad was filled with dancing students all dressed in unique costumes. The inspiration for these could have come from a wide variety of thoughts. Though many students were not informed about this dance, it is important to know such events occurred in hopes that those unaware would choose to attend now that they have been given the option. This is especially hopeful now since, “This was the best Welcome Back Dance I have been to since the music was good and not a lot of moshing was going on” as Ashley Payne (11) states.

The dancing itself was put on by two DJs that played a wide variety of songs that ranged from throwbacks such as “Everytime We Touch” by Casadaca and “Soulja Boy” by Soulja Boy as well as recent songs like “Sicko Mode” Travis Scott and “Stir Fry” by Migos. Both types of songs had received equal amounts of excitement with students as well as staff singing along and dancing to the popular music genres.

Overall the Welcome Back Dance was a success for all those who attended with a great turn out for a fun night. The next dance will be the YLHS Homecoming Dance that will take place in October of 2018 that hopefully students who had not been informed on this dance will choose to attend it.