Farewells and New Beginnings

Good Luck Class of 2017

Good Luck Class of 2017

https://www.omegafi.com/apps/home/greek-life-doesnt-end-after-graduation/

Good Luck Class of 2017

Katie Cao, Photojournalist

Now that the class of 2017’s final week is approaching its end, the class of 2018 is now ready to take on the daunting task of being a senior, and applying to college.

College. The goal that practically every high school student is working so hard to achieve throughout their entire educational career. Especially at the beginning of high school, reality soon starts to set in of what high school holds- what it’s really preparing a student for.

Junior year. Now that’s when all the pressure is being felt. Hours of homework, volunteering, sleepless nights, classes preparing students for the tests that will determine the capability of getting into a college, Saturday’s spent taking the SAT or ACT; this all is going to lead into the summer.

The summer before senior year, when students begin to get their college applications ready, they start to write their personal statements, they cram in as many volunteer hours as possible- each and every one trying to make their applications as pristine as possible. Just so that they can get the chance to be accepted into the school of their dreams.

Is the class of 2018 ready to take on that tremendous task, though? Are they ready to start planning for their future? A future that leaves them in the unknown, a future full of possibilities, a future that scares the majority of students.

“I am definitely not ready. It scares me so much. Like I feel like I haven’t done enough at all for a college to look at me. All of these kids have above a 4.0 GPA, they do all of these extracurriculars, they’re part of some big club. I feel like I have no chance, and no matter what I do it just won’t help. I’m not ready,” states a fearful Lauren Fitts (11).

In agreement with Lauren is me. I am not ready. I don’t feel like I’m as prepared as I should be. Some people would think that I am, but I am far from that. I can’t even begin to fathom the daunting task of college. My whole life has basically been preparing me for this point, to get ready to be chosen by some prominent university, to be able to choose my career.

The truth is, no one is really ready to be pushed into that position just yet, yet each year it happens. Whether or not someone is ready. For those who say they are ready, well just trust that there’s a bit of fear in them as well.

As the class of 2017 bids its farewell to Yorba Linda High School, it’s class of 2018’s turn to step up to the plate and shoot their shot.

It’s time for 2018 to shine, and to make senior year worth their while. Before they, too, bid their farewell.