How to Have (Safe) Fun in the Sun

Sunscreen is an important preventative measure that should be taken seriously.

Photo credits: thekiddsplace.com

Sunscreen is an important preventative measure that should be taken seriously. Photo credits: thekiddsplace.com

Paige Weingarten, Editor

School is winding down, the temperature is heating up, students all across America know exactly what that means. Summer is here! For many, the next three months will be filled with days at the beach, at the amusement park, and enjoying other outdoor activities with friends (when not working on AP summer homework of course). While there is nothing wrong with enjoying some fun in the sun this summer, it is important to remember the need for sunscreen to protect against the harsh UVA and UVB rays from the sun.

At this age, many teens feel as if they are invincible and that sunscreen is just something that their mothers always nagged them about to or what caused a delay for them to be able to dive into the water so that it could dry. It’s hard to admit, I know, but your mothers had the right idea. Sunscreen prevents dangerous UV, or ultraviolet radiation, rays from affecting one’s skin through a sunburn, and it can end up allowing you to avoid serious side effects such as wrinkling of skin, leathering of skin, sagging, and photo aging, not to mention, it can help to prevent Melanoma, a potentially deadly form of skin cancer.

I know what you’re thinking. If you’re like the majority of young people across America, the threat of having some of your skin potentially removed to remove a carcinoma doesn’t seem like too big of a barter for achieving the perfect tan, however, melanoma is an extremely serious condition that can cause much more damage than commonly believed. According to cancer.net, an approximated 87, 110 adults will be diagnosed with melanoma just this year, and will have to undergo cancer treatment to fight it. Cancer is a serious disease, and can be prevented through the simple task of applying sunscreen daily before embarking on outdoor activities.

As residents of sunny Southern California, Yorba Linda High School students spend their fair share of time outdoors during the summer and understand the potentially life-saving effects of sunscreen. Trevor Chang (11) agrees that “sunscreen use is imperative” in order to protect oneself from skin diseases. Yes, sometimes putting on sunscreen can be a pain and some believe that application hinders the possibility of receiving that golden tan, the positive effects of sunscreen can save lives and definitely outweigh the possible negatives. So protect yourself this summer and have safe fun in the sun by remembering to apply!

Sources: cancer.net and skincancer.org