Together We Stand

Together we stand

http://www.capitalxtra.com/news/hip-hop-rnb-stars-show-support-manchester-bombing/

Together we stand

Katie Cao, Photojournalist

On May 22nd 2017, an Ariana Grande concert was being held in the Manchester Arena. Filled with adoring fans, and an amazing vibe, the arena was infused with a happy, easy-going energy. Fans ranged from adolescents to teenagers to adults. The setting was one to last a lifetime.

Soon after the concert ended, a loud BOOM could be heard from those outside the arena. Soon after, those who heard the loud explosion found out that the noise was a bomb that detonated because of a suicide bomber, Salman Ramadan Abedi. He was a 22 year old British Muslim who was one of the many that were killed in this explosion. Along with Abedi, 23 adults were killed, and over 116 people were injured- some in critical care.

The Great Manchester Police declared that this event was an act of terrorism, and soon arrested 16 people believed to be a part of the bombing. Two of the 16 were later released without charges. Also, ISIS claimed to be responsible for the attack, but neither U.S. nor British officials have confirmed this claim.

After the bombing, many children that were lost were lead to a hotel nearby to be found by their parents. Transportation from taxis were free of charge, and many of those nearby the scene of attack helped those that were injured, and helped the children that were stranded and lost (CNN).

Grande later tweeted out, “Broken. From the bottom of my heart, I am so so sorry. I don’t have words” (NBC News).

She later on released a longer statement of how she is truly devastated, and would like everyone’s prayers and thoughts to go out to the families affected by this tragic event.

The music industry sent an outpour of support once news reached the world of what had happened, and many encouraged for everyone to stay united in difficult times such as now.

Upon hearing this tragic event, Sydnie Chin (10) felt “unsafe because concerts are supposed to be places where people can let go, be happy, and not have to worry about their safety. The whole purpose of going to a concert is to forget what is currently happening in someone’s life, and just immerse yourself in the music.”

Many people on Twitter tweeted out their thoughts in accordance to Sydnie’s, and most importantly of all, everyone believes that an act of this magnitude means that the people should stick together closer, and not be divided.