The 48-Hour Film Festival!

On the set of the 48 Hour Film Festival. Photo by Eric Garcia.

Eric Garcia

Eric Garcia

Eric Garcia, Photojournalist

Photojournalist – Eric Garcia

Lights! Camera! Action! On March 3rd to March 5th, a select group of students from Advanced Video Productions participated in the 48 Hour Film Festival presented by FilmEd Academy of the Arts. Various high schools involved with the program have 48 hours to film, edit, and submit a short film from theme that’s given to them. Depending on the role, it can either be really fun or really stressful. In the end, the team was able to create a short film called The Zomnuptial Agreement. While participating in festival Kyle Herbel (11) said, “Honestly, I’ve been having a good time. I’m the editor and in the two days that we’re filming, tomorrow I’m going to be editing.” While Kyle played an important role, Nickolas Franklin (11) had the daunting challenge of being the director. After the 48, I interviewed Nickolas regarding the festival.

E: First Question. What is the 48?

N: The 48 is a film festival that has been created by FilmEd Academy of the Arts, who applies the camera gear that we use to multiple schools, and we have 48 hours to make a short film. Multiple schools attend and compete to make the best short film possible within 48 hours. It’s very high tense We have two weeks in preparation for it and you have to basically be filming and editing at the same time.

E: What is the film you made?

N: FilmEd gave us the category of a Zombie film and we kind of took a different route of what a regular zombie film [is]. [Instead] of the classic horror, we did a love story about a guy who finds out his wife has been infected and turned into a zombie and it goes through his grieving process as it goes through [him] making the relationship work and realizing that he has to move on from his wife. The whole story is really about lost love in a relationship, as two people just lose spark in what once was love and there’s really no particular reason why this has happened. They’re lost in translation as they try to figure out how this has occurred.

E: How did you come up with the idea for The Zomnuptial Agreement?

N Hmm. That’s a great question. *Laughs* I was in the shower. *Laughs* One of our genres was Film de Femme and the other was Zombie and I didn’t like the idea of doing a traditional zombie film and I liked the idea of rather doing a Film de Femme and this idea got stuck in my head and I couldn’t get it out. And it was just this idea of what would happen if your wife turned into a zombie? What would you do? And I got this idea in my head of someone trying to make the relationship work, kind of like Midnight at Bernie’s only it’s his wife and she’s a zombie.

E: You were the director for the film.

N: Yeah, I wrote the screenplay for the film and I directed it.

E: What was your role as director?

N: My role as director is to have my vision get across. I direct the actors and make sure they portray the characters that I’m trying to create through my vision.

E: How hard was it being limited to 48 hours?

N: Insanely difficult. My process with everything a lot of the time is more or less very slow. Especially with editing. We did have Andy (Andrew Martinez) edit the 48 and getting it in, but I’m actually going to do a re-edit this week and because I’m so patient with a lot of things kind of like how perfectionists go slow. The 48 is such a huge challenge in the sense that you’re supposed to realize that you have to have a really great assistant director which we did. It was Ries (Chirrick) that keeps you on top and says “Hey. You can’t keep on doing this shot. You just have to move on.” And I think that that’s the biggest thing is just scheduling and accepting compromise a lot of the time. That’s something you’re going to have to realize is going to happen a lot during the 48.

E: Any fun stories from the 48?

N: Oh! So many fun stories. So many goofs. A main detrimental thing that we needed during the 48- This one is like my least favorite story. A detrimental that I want to get was an empty pool because near the end of the film. He tries to kill himself and his wife by drowning himself in the pool and Zoe’s parents were trapped in a pool as zombies and that’s because of a funny thing. What if zombies fall in a ditch and couldn’t get out. There just sitting there crawling out of the ditch. That’s kind of funny The though is that it’s a representation of being trapped in a relationship and that if he was to kill himself with Zoe in the pool, he would infinitely be trapped in the relationship and that’s where the whole pool thing was up with. Sadly though, what was once an empty pool that we’ve gotten had been filled the day before without letting us know and we didn’t find out until we were at [the] location. So that was a huge bummer. That was our biggest time waster and we got majorly behind schedule with that. And during breaks and when we didn’t have to film, I had a lot of fun with BTS. We were just doing random things, I think at one point I proposed to Ries and Andy had came by and stole the ring. Another bit, I had the ring on my finger and whenever someone disappointed me, I’d take the ring off and say “ I can’t do this” and give them the ring back like we were engaged. *Laughs* *Mumbles* Probably the best thing out of the whole experience was on Sunday, we had gotten so far behind schedule, we had four scenes in the morning. And we did four scenes within three hours because our actor had to be done by 9:30. That was probably the most intense filmmaking I’ve ever done. It was compromised with the fact that nothing got lost throughout the compromise. I remember at one point that he had to take his shoes and not because he didn’t want them to get wet. We needed to use them because we needed to go back to the scene before and the shoes were background or an over the shoulder sense for shots that we had to take when he’s gone. So we compromised with takes of him having it in him, making it a shot of partly his shoe and then just taking the shoes with us when he left. That was a funny thing.

E: Last question. Any advice you would give to students trying to attempt the challenge.

N: *Claps hands* I think post production- Pre production is crucial ultimately. If you’re not pre producing it and prepared, you’re going to get f*cked. Hard. Let me just say that pre-production is crucial and you need pre-production for compromise in a sense. You’re shooting a film that if you can’t get this specific thing that you want, you need a plan B for everything. You need a plan B for certain things you don’t even have on. Even the smallest, miniscule things. You gonna have to be able to on spot have a plan B and just be able to get it done and that’s the thing. Being able to compromise and have story be conveyed the way you want and that’s the biggest difficulty I thinks is with the 48 and it’s something that even now as I’m in the re-editing process, I’m not sure if we succeeded in having compromised and having the story be conveyed correctly. It’s something that I won’t know till this weekend.

E: All right! That is all. Thank you!

The final product should be up on either Mustang Mix’s YouTube page or FilmEd’s Vimeo. Make sure to keep a look out. Also a big congrats to the team for managing to complete the challenge.