Phases of Yorba Linda High School

Yorba Linda High School before the first opening in 2009.

///ADDITIONAL INFO: backtoschool.yl - 8/18/09 - PHOTO BY JOSHUA SUDOCK, THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER -

JOSHUA SUDOCK, THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

Yorba Linda High School before the first opening in 2009. ///ADDITIONAL INFO: backtoschool.yl – 8/18/09 – PHOTO BY JOSHUA SUDOCK, THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER –

On the edge of Bastanchury Road lies a home for Mustangs, Yorba Linda High School. Every year YLHS is introduced to a new class of ninth graders, yet sadly must say goodbye to the senior class.  For four years, students will come repeatedly to this one school; where one will cram for a test that they forgot to study, and be disappointed on failing tryouts, or getting a bad grade. However, you will make friends, make unforgettable memories, and prepare for the next steps of your life.

Yorba Linda High School has been a home and a learning facility for students since 2009. Let’s take a trip back 7 years ago! The home of the Mustangs was almost home of the Diamondbacks, or the Jaguars. A committee of thirty people, including Principal Flynn and Ms. Welch, narrowed the list of ideas to three major mascots. Our mascot, the Mustang, was then chosen by citizens of Yorba Linda who came to the community center to vote for the very best. In the end, Yorba Linda High School became the sanctuary for mustangs. The start of YLHS took place in the 400 and 500 building, which back then was the North Orange County Community College.

There were four major phases in building YLHS: phase one was the main building and quad area, the second phase was building the stadium and pool, phase three was remodeling the 400 and 500 building and forum, and building the park was the fourth and final stage. Currently, Yorba Linda High School is undergoing the fourth and final stage. Ms. Welch (staff), recalls “having tears in [her] eyes“ when she saw the first graduation held at YLHS. In the matter of seven years, YLHS was awarded California Distinguished School Award in 2013, Gold Ribbon and Extemporary Art Program School, highest standardized test score in the district, athletic programs achieving CIF Championship, and U.S news report ranked Yorba Linda High School  as the top 500 in the nation. Principal Flynn (Staff), states, “The school opened with expectations and we are meeting those expectations.” Our school has changed and developed so much as Ms. Welch remembers, “at 3:00 you can hear a pin drop, because it was all JV sports; very small half the size of now and just the beginning, all these groups starting, so it was very  quiet. Now there is so much activity.” Through and through Yorba Linda High School has surpassed expectations, and we too will be a part of the legacy.